Work for Bay Nature!
As a small outfit, Bay Nature doesn’t often have job openings. But when we do, this is where you’ll find them.
About Bay Nature Institute
Bay Nature Institute (BNI) is an independent 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that promotes the exploration and protection of the natural world of the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California. BNI publishes the award Bay Nature magazine and maintains Baynature.org. BNI also sponsors free naturalist-led hikes and “Bay Nature on the Air,” a series of video shorts that air on Northern California public television stations. Bay Nature Institute is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and nondiscriminatory workplace.
Graphic Designer for Bay Nature Magazine
(an independent contractor position)
Bay Nature is a full-color quarterly magazine, published by the nonprofit Bay Nature Institute, that explores and celebrates the natural world of the San Francisco Bay Area.
We are seeking an experienced, creative, and highly-qualified graphic design professional to design and lay out the magazine each quarter, using text and images provided by Bay Nature editorial staff. In addition, the new designer will undertake—with staff—a thorough review of the current design with the goal of making changes to update the look of the magazine.
This is an independent contractor position, consisting of an estimated 65–90 hours of work per quarter, with most of the work concentrated in a five-to-six week period during that quarter. Compensation varies, depending on the number of pages (generally 48–72) in each issue, and consists of a set design fee and a per-page layout fee. There will be a separate negotiated fee for the initial redesign project.
This position offers an experienced freelance graphics design professional the security of a regular, dependable, recurring assignment and the rewards of working with material that combines visual beauty with positive social impact.
I. JOB DESCRIPTION
The Graphic Designer is responsible for the design and layout of each issue of Bay Nature magazine, a full-color quarterly known for its high-quality visual presentation that mirrors the natural beauty of the natural world of the San Francisco Bay Area. The Graphic Designer works with the Publisher and Editorial Director. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Design Review and Changes (Initial)
- Review and evaluate current design of magazine and suggest changes that maintain “brand” of high quality design but refresh and update the look;
- Work with Bay Nature staff to ensure that design changes are made with an eye toward cross-platform publishing, including future tablet editions of the magazine.
2. Magazine Design (quarterly)
- Develop highly tailored designs for feature articles and special sections, with an emphasis on exceptional use of typography and the balanced interplay of graphics and text.
3. Production (quarterly)
- Produce layouts in Adobe InDesign of articles, cover, and front/back matter with formatted text, images, and preliminary design.
- Send draft layouts to editorial staff for review and feedback; revise as necessary.
- Prepare final file (including images) for shipment to printer.
- Experience in design and production for print media involving both text and color images;
- Demonstrated capacity to produce high-quality design with quick turn-around;
- Experience designing for print media with Adobe Creative Suite (including InDesign and PhotoShop);
- Live and work in the Bay Area (at least while working on Bay Nature);
- Able to meet deadlines;
- Able to work collaboratively.
- Experience designing four-color print periodicals;
- Extensive knowledge of typography;
- Experience working in CMYK process environments where screen colors can’t be trusted;
- Experience designing for tablet presentation, especially of magazine-style content, and publishing digital content;
- Interest in, and some knowledge of, local nature and Bay Area environment;
- Interest in making a long-term commitment to the project;
- Live and/or work in the East Bay.
III. TO APPLY
Send resume, cover letter (describing suitability for position), and published samples (or links to online portfolio) to David Loeb, Publisher, at email@example.com or (if hard copy samples) 1328 – 6th Street, Berkeley CA 94710. Initial deadline for application is October 31, 2013, but position open until filled. Finalists may be asked to design a sample article.