California Naturalist is a new program developed by the University of California Cooperative Extension to foster a committed corps of volunteer naturalists and citizen scientists trained and ready to take an active role in natural resource conservation, education, and restoration. Sustaining natural resources requires an understanding of science, adaptive management, and cooperation among diverse interest groups. We can protect and restore California’s unique ecology with an environmentally literate, engaged public!
The SPAWN California Naturalist Training Course will introduce you to the interwoven wonders of the unique ecology and natural history of the Lagunitas Creek Watershed and engage you in direct stewardship actions. The 40-hour course will utilize a combination of science curriculum, guest lecturers, field trips and project based learning to immerse you in the natural world of California. Expert instructors will uncover strategies to continue conservation of biodiversity in the Lagunitas Creek, and all California watersheds. An additional 40 hours of volunteer service work is required of all participants to retain the University of California’s California Naturalist certificate earned during the course.
Ten weekly classroom lessons
(Wednesdays 6:30pm – 9:00pm, July 11 – September 12)
Three immersive field seminars
(Saturdays, 9:00am – 3:00pm, August 4, 25 and September 8)
Course Fee: $495
Marin Country Day School
5221 Paradise Drive, Corte Madera, CA 94925
• Expert Naturalist Instructors from Marin County – Jules Evens, John Del’Osso, David Wimpfheimer, Dr. Emily Burns, Dr. Chris Pincetich, David McGuire,
Megan Isadore and more!
• Classroom and Field Instruction in unique West Marin habitats.
• Earn the new UC California Naturalist Certificate and unlock new opportunities.
• Access to direct action environmental service projects and citizen science collaborations!
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available to participants for an additional fee and accredited through Dominican University.
Contact: Chris Pincetich, Ph.D.
(415) 663-8590 x102, email@example.com