Learn More About the Parks and Get Involved!
State Department of Parks and Recreation – Find information about all of California’s state parks on the department’s redesigned website: parks.ca.gov.
You can also find a Partnership Workbook for nonprofits and public agencies interested in taking on responsibility for parks slated for closure: parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26966.
California State Parks Foundation (CSPF)
The nonprofit California State Parks Foundation (calparks.org) has a variety of resources and related sites to help you stay informed and engaged, as well as ways to donate to help save closing parks.
- Defend What’s Yours – The place to start for information on, and ways to get involved in, the state parks closure issue. calparks.org/defend
- Save Our State Parks – Information about the state parks’ budget crisis and how to become an advocate for parks. savestateparks.org
- The Magnificent 70 – Get to know the parks on the closure list. mag70.calparks.org
- CalParks Voices Blog – A comprehensive resource for things related to park closures, including relevant events, art shows, and workshops. calparks.wordpress.com
- Facebook – facebook.com/calparks
- Twitter – twitter.com/calparks
- You Tube – youtube.com/user/CAStateParksFndtn
- 15th Annual Earth Day Cleanup – CSPF is hosting volunteer environmental improvement projects at 18 parks around the state on Saturday, April 14, 2012. calparks.org/programs/earth-day/
Contacts for Profiled State Parks
- Samuel P. Taylor State Park: Marin State Parks Association – marinstateparks.org
- Mono Lake Tufa State Natural Reserve:
Mono Lake Committee – monolake.org
The Bodie Foundation – bodiefoundation.org
- McGrath State Beach: Save McGrath State Beach – caopenspace.org/savemcgrath.html
- Hendy Woods State Park:
Hendy Woods Community, Inc. – hendywoods.org
Save the Redwoods League – Almost one-quarter of the parks slated for closure are redwood parks. For more information on how the league will help protect the land once the gates have closed: savetheredwoods.org/community/voice.shtml.
Sierra Club of California – The Sierra Club of California’s environmental news blog with information about the park closures. sierraclubcalifornia.org/category/issues/parks-recreationLegislative Analyst’s Office Report
On March 2, 2012, the Legislative Analyst’s Office released a comprehensive report on strategies to maintain the state park system. It can be found at http://bit.ly/zK8nRA.
Blogs and Videos
The announcement of the park closures inspired many Californians to get out and see the parks for themselves, while documenting the process through blogs and movies:
Most recent in State Parks Crisis
The 2011 state budget crisis hit California's state parks hard. Two years later, the Parks Forward Initiative has been looking to ensure the park system's future and on Oct. 2nd, asked for public input in San Rafael.
State Parks Crisis