Are you new to birding or just curious to try it out? Then join us for a beginners birding walk exploring the bird life surrounding the Bear Valley Visitor Center within the Point Reyes National Seashore. Don’t be shy if you’ve never birded before – that’s what we’re here for! We want to help and inspire bird-curious beginners to get out and appreciate the bird world. We’ll begin with tips on using binoculars and an introductory talk on “why birds?” As we explore, stopping frequently to observe the birds we encounter, we’ll discuss techniques for locating birds, what sorts of details to notice about a bird, bird vocalizations, and bird behavior and habitats. We’ll have the opportunity to observe and study a variety of birds, including raptors, woodpeckers, jays, warblers, sparrows, and other songbirds.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines:
In accordance with Marin County guidelines for public health and safety, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants experiencing COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• Wear a protective face covering
• Maintain a 6 foot physical distance from other participants not belonging to your household
• Bring your own food and water
• Overall group sizes will be limited, there will be no physical contact or sharing of food and drink, and no shared physical equipment or materials unless they are sanitized before and after use, and used by only one person for the duration of class
• Participants will be asked to drive their own vehicle, or share a vehicle only with other household or social bubble members when travelling to field teaching locations
Thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.