The 33rd annual International Shoreline Cleanup will be on September 16th, 2017. It takes place once a year, all over the world. The clean-up is sponsored by organizations and government agencies such as the California Coastal Commission. You can also visit the Commission at www.coast4u.org.
- Date: September 16, 2017
- Time: Cleanup 9:00 am -12:00 noon and stay for the raffle 12:00 noon -1:00 pm
Where to meet
Meet at the Shorebird Park Nature Center, 160 University Ave. Berkeley Marina. Please carpool if you can or take the A.C. transit 81 bus. Parking is limited. Bike parking available.
Who should come?
All ages are encouraged to come. This is a great family event!
- Groups of 5 or more please pre-register by emailing us at email@example.com
If you are bringing children/youth under age 18
- Children must have a waiver signed by their parent or guardian. Parents can sign at the event or send a signed waiver with the adult bringing their child. Waiver Here!
- Youth cannot stay without an adult unless they are 15 years or older.
What to expect when you arrive
- Enjoy some morning snacks and coffee donated by Whole Foods Market.
- Sign a waiver.
- Each adult will sign a waiver for themselves.
- Parents/guardians will sign for children/youth under age 18 or turn in a pre-signed child’s waiver available for download here.
- Safety talks, each lasting about ten minutes, begin at 9:00 and continue until 10:30.
- After the talk, you will go with a site leader to one of the 7 clean-up locations. Most are within walking distance of the main staging area.
- After the clean-up ends at 12:00 noon, please return to the Nature Center where we will collect your data cards and give you a raffle ticket for some wonderful prizes donated by local businesses.
How to prepare
- Wear sturdy shoes and dress in layers.
- Wear a hat and sunscreen
- We will provide data cards and pencils, and we encourage you to bring your own bucket and gloves. If you do not have them we will provide them for you.
- Remember to bring signed waivers for children/youth under age 18.
Where will we clean?
The cleanup takes place at the mouth of three creeks, along our east shoreline, and around the Berkeley Marina. Some of the shoreline areas we are cleaning are part of the Eastshore State Park, which extends along the shoreline between Emeryville and Richmond. The clean-up provides a wonderful, empowering reason to connect the cities, to make a difference and to explore the unique shoreline areas.
We will be picking up trash that comes down our creeks, into the Bay, and then into the Ocean. The clean-up locations are chosen based on where the tides and currents deposit the trash onto the shoreline. These areas of the Bay are like a big dirty bathtub ring. Typically, 80% of the litter we pick up comes from inland, not the ocean.
Thank-you so very much for coming to clean, it really makes a difference!