About this Event
Coastal habitats of Point Reyes host a large variety of marine mammals. In short walks near the Lighthouse, Drakes Beach and other locations this class will focus on Elephant seals and Gray whales while covering other cetaceans and pinnipeds of the area.
Be sure to bring your binoculars!
David Wimpfheimer is a professional naturalist and biologist. For thirty-five years he has pursed his passion, natural history of the America West. He enthusiastically shares his extensive knowledge about all aspects of the natural world with many groups including Smithsonian Institution, California Academy of Sciences, Road Scholar and Oceanic Society.
-We will be meeting at the Lighthouse Parking Lot
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– We will access additional sites by driving (car caravan) to other locations such as Chimney Rock and Drakes Beach over the course of the day
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Binoculars are essential
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County guidelines for public health and safety, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
During class all participants will be required to do the following
Wear a protective face covering
Maintain a 6 foot physical distance from other participants not belonging to your household
Bring your own food and water
Current group sizes are limited, there will be no physical contact or sharing of food and drink, and no shared physical equipment or materials unless they are sanitized before and after use, and used by only one person for the duration of class
Thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.