About this event
This August marks the one-year anniversary of the 2020 Woodward Fire at the Point Reyes National Seashore. In recognition of the park staff who kept the Seashore safe and the donations that helped the habitats and species within our park recover, we welcome our Regeneration Fund supporters to join us in hiking within the fire zone. Our docents will take you on a journey through parts of the park most impacted by the fire: pointing out residual burn presence in certain habitats, explaining the importance of fire regrowth, describing Fire Management efforts within the park, and so much more!
The Loop Trail hike is our most strenuous Fire Ecology Walk option—optimal for any athletic hikers who are enthusiastic about spending a day exploring the fire zone. The Loop fire walk is a difficult adventure, expected to take 4.5 hours, cover 6.95 miles, and gain 1,194 feet of elevation. We will begin at the Bear Valley trailhead (adjacent to the Bear Valley Visitor Center) and make our way up Meadow trail, from where we will take Sky trail to connect with the Old Pine trail, which will loop us back to the Bear Valley trailhead. The hike begins with a steep incline for the first 2.5 miles (grades of up to 20%), followed by rolling terrain, and approximately 3 miles of non-stop downhill. We encourage you to consider your comfort level prior to signing up for this walk. This hike is DIFFICULT. If you decide that a less-strenuous hike might be best for you, please consider our Bear Valley (easy) and Sky Trail (intermediate) fire walks as alternatives.
We are offering the Level 3 walks from 10am – 2:30pm on the following days. Please register for your preferred date:
- Sunday, August 29
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
- We have recently been able to resume programs, for your safety please view our new Covid-19 protocols below
- Due to the popularity of these events and our limited capacity, registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes. If you can no longer attend this event, please cancel your order as soon as possible to make room for others. To cancel your order click “View and Manage Your Order” on either your confirmation email or Eventbrite account and then proceed to cancel the order
- Sales end 48 hours before the start date
What to Bring:
- Mask (required at start)
- Snacks and Lunch!
- Hiking Shoes
- Two Full Water Bottles (or equal volume in a water bladder)
- Binoculars (Optional)
- Camera (Optional)
COVID-19 PRNSA Guidelines: In accordance with Marin County guidelines for public health and safety, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
- Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
- Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness
- Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class