The Basics of Beekeeping!
In this class taught by Jan Spieth of the Mt. Diable Beekeeping Association, you will learn essential honeybee biology in order to understand colony life. Jan will share what hive equipment, tools and protective gear you will need to get started.
You will learn the essential basics
– Hive equipment, tools and protective gear
– Where to source your bees
– “Lifting the Lid” What’s going on inside the hive
– Inspecting frames – what to look for
– Room service: Keeping up with seasonal expansion, reduction
– Assessing health of the colony
– Disease: signs & symptons, diagnosis & treatment options
– Resources for new beekeepers