Managing Editor, Bay Nature magazine
Bay Nature is an award-winning, quarterly consumer magazine that covers the natural sciences, conservation, and outdoor recreation in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Think of us as part National Geographic and part Outside magazine (without the gear) focused on the Bay Area. We’re looking for a half-time managing editor who is strong in the natural sciences, storytelling, and committed to high-quality journalism. The job is part acquiring and editing print stories for the magazine’s front-of-the-book section, and part helping manage Bay Nature magazine’s production process. It is a great position for someone interested in editing and learning the ropes of running a magazine. You will be an essential part of Bay Nature’s small but mighty editorial team. This 20-hour a week position reports to the editor in chief.
In print for 20 years, Bay Nature magazine and website are published by the independent, nonprofit Bay Nature Institute, a member of the Institute for Nonprofit News (INN). We work to make a difference by producing environmental and science journalism that inspires all people to learn about, think critically about, and explore the natural world around them. Our vision is that all people have a close relationship with nature. We are committed to equity and inclusion in everything we do, externally and internally, and are working on ways we can expand this commitment. We’re looking to hire the right person for the role of copy and production editor—not the right resume. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
While our office is located in West Berkeley, a five-ten minute bike ride from the North Berkeley BART station, we are currently working remotely. When it is safe to return to the office, we will expect you to work most of the time from the office. The position will begin in late June 2021.
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
- Detail- and deadline-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with others.
- Desire to be part of a team. When we are in our West Berkeley office, we work in small quarters where a willingness to participate in a fun, smart, hard-working, convivial organizational culture is essential.
- At least three years experience editing journalism and/or reporting
- A deep interest in editing journalism and helping journalists and non-journalist writers/experts produce their best work.
- A demonstrable interest or background in ecology, environmental science, and the outdoors.
- Strong familiarity with the Bay Area a plus.
- Assign and edit the nine pages of stories and content in Bay Nature’s front-of-the-book departments.
- Help manage Bay Nature magazine’s production schedule, including pitches, photo bulletin, fact checker assignments, captions, invoices, and database entry.
- Commit to reflecting the Bay Area’s diverse population in freelance assignments, story sources, and subject matter.
- Develop relationships with sources and writers in order to pitch and assign stories.
- Work with the art director to conceive of visual approaches to these stories.
- Help proofread and review final magazine copy.
- Attend weekly editorial and staff meetings.
- Bay Nature Institute offers healthcare, pre-tax transit benefits, flexible work hours, and generous holiday, sick, and vacation leave in proportion to hours worked.
- Competitive salary based on experience.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Managing Editor
- Your resume
- A thoughtful cover letter that describes your interest in Bay Nature magazine, why you’re well-suited for this role, and how it fits into your career path.
- Three stories you’ve edited; two stories you’ve reported and written.
No phone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.
Bay Nature Institute is an equal opportunity employer.