Bay Nature is an award-winning, quarterly consumer magazine that covers the environment, conservation, and outdoor recreation in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. We’re looking for a full-time assistant editor who is interested in the natural sciences, storytelling, and high-quality journalism. The job is part writing for the Bay Nature website (baynature.org), part managing Bay Nature’s newsletter and social media accounts, and part assisting with Bay Nature magazine’s production process. The position reports to the digital editor.
In print for 20 years, Bay Nature magazine and website are published by the independent, nonprofit Bay Nature Institute, a member of the Institute for Nonprofit News (INN). We work to make a difference by producing environmental and science journalism that inspires all people to learn about, think critically about, and explore the natural world around them. Our vision is that all people have a close relationship with nature. We are committed to equity and inclusion in everything we do, externally and internally, and are working on ways we can expand this commitment. We’re looking to hire the right person for the role of assistant editor—not the right resume. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
While our office is located in West Berkeley, a 5-10 minute bike ride from the North Berkeley BART station, we are currently working remotely. When it is safe to return to the office, we will expect you to work most of the time from the office. The position will begin in July 2021.
- Detail- and deadline-oriented.
- Experience reporting and writing.
- Familiarity with social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Some familiarity with newsletters
- Interest in, or willingness to learn about, the natural world of the San Francisco Bay Area
- Report, write and ensure the accuracy of at least one story per month for the Bay Nature website
- Curate, write and send a weekly newsletter using MailChimp
- Plan and post content to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Collect and manage photographs, illustrations, maps and other graphic content for print publication, in coordination with the Editor in Chief and Graphic Designer
- Attend weekly editorial and staff meetings.
- Bay Nature Institute offers healthcare, pre-tax transit benefits, flexible work hours, and generous holiday, sick, and vacation leave in proportion to hours worked.
No phone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.
Bay Nature Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org