Much of Bay Nature’s work is made possible through the generosity and commitment of our volunteers. We often have openings for volunteer opportunities in marketing, development, event tabling, and general office support. If we have a specific opening, it will be posted here. For general information about internships or volunteering, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertising, Marketing, & Development
One of the perks of being a small nonprofit is the quality of attention and care that we can offer our core community of donors and supporters. One of the ways that we convey this care is through hand addressed envelopes containing customized donor appeals. If you have excellent penmanship, and/or a willingness to set aside several hours over the period of a couple weeks to do routine administrative work once, twice, or three times a year, please contact email@example.com, or call (510)528-8550 x105.
Would you like to help spread the word about BAY NATURE? If so, we’d love to hear from you! We’re looking for a volunteer to talk to people about BAY NATURE at local festivals, reach out to potential magazine retailers, and keep our popular online nature events calendar up to date. If you’re interested in any or all of these activities, please contact Beth at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 510-528-8550 x107.
We are seeking a qualified Intern for a three-month period to assist with our advertising department. Bay Nature Magazine is the award-winning quarterly publication now in its fifteenth year. This is a great opportunity to get hands-on experience in print and web advertising, for a significant Bay Area nonprofit. As a volunteer, you will learn about nonprofit publishing and other nature-related organizations throughout the Bay Area. You will be acknowledged for your work on our website and in our print magazine. Duties will include but are not limited to: 1. Research advertising prospects 2. Database management 3. Research market special advertising features 4. Assist Advertising Director 5. Assist in Direct email campaign 6. Assist with advertising layout process 7. Track submissions of client CRC artwork Your skills should include proficiency in graphic design with web / internet experience. An art background is ideal, as you may have the opportunity to design and enhance client ads. Interest or knowledge of Bay Area outdoors and environmental organizations and projects is a plus. The Bay Nature office is in West Berkeley. Internship hours are flexible, but we expect a 8-10 hour/week commitment, for three months. To apply, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We are seeking someone willing to pitch in during a three-to-nine month period to do research and create materials leading up to a regional nature-oriented special event. You’ll learn about, and get hands on experience doing tasks including:
- Researching prospects for corporate and organizational sponsorships;
- Building and managing a database of prospective sponsors and inkind donors;
- Assisting with event planning and promotion process
- Designing event-related artwork
- Supporting the Associate Director with a variety of tasks as they arise in the event planning process.
All for a great cause — protecting and learning about the natural world of the Bay Area!
- Three to nine month commitment.
- Strong interest in nonprofits and the environment.
- Solid computer and internet research skills.
- Proficiency in graphic design with web / internet experience. An art or graphic design background is ideal, as you may have the opportunity to design event-related materials.
- Ability to work independently.
- Commitment to the local natural environment.
Office Hours, work site: Hours are flexible, but we expect you to work 2-6 hours per week at the Bay Nature office in West Berkeley. Our office is open Monday through Friday from approximately 9:30 am – 6 pm. After the first few weeks, telecommuting is possible for especially motivated volunteers.
Rewards: You will be acknowledged for your work on our website and in our print magazine. You will gain marketable job skills — nonprofit marketing, fundraising, and event planning — with a respected organization.
Application Process: Send your resume and a note about the skills and experiences you could bring to this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Marketing (Google AdWords) and Social Media Intern
We are seeking an online marketing and social media intern to provide support for our Google Adwords program and assist with our social media activities. In return we can offer some training and experience in an area of work that is highly marketable in the ever-growing tech world, with a respected regional organization.
Duration: 6 months minimum
Time Commitment: 4-8 hours/week
Location: Bay Nature office in Berkeley, with option to work from home after onboarding ramp-up
Online marketing responsibilities (80%):
- Work with the Development and Editorial Associate to expand our Google Adwords program: Assist in creating Google Ads for Bay Nature’s online articles; Brainstorm keywords, draft ad language, and analyze results.
Social media responsibilities (20%):
- Assist Marketing and Outreach Director in posting to Facebook and Instagram.
- Help build out our social networks.
- Analyze the impact of posts using Google Analytics.
- Add events to our online calendar to attract more community postings.
- Promote the Bay Nature Trailfinder application; select TF hikes for our social media channels and e-newsletter.
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the natural world.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interest in social media marketing and community-building
- Ability to quickly and effectively learn new technology (we will provide Google Adwords training if needed).
- Prior experience or familiarity with Google Adwords and/or Google Analytics.
- In-depth working knowledge of Facebook and Instagram.
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com