Much of Bay Nature’s work is made possible through the generosity and commitment of our volunteers. We often have openings for editorial internships and other volunteer opportunities, including marketing, development, event tabling, and general office support. If we have a specific opening, it will be posted here. For general information about internships or volunteering, email email@example.com.
This BAY NATURE intern opportunity will allow you to delve into the heart of Bay Area nature and conservation news, and contribute to the growing content at Baynature.org. Bay Nature Magazine is our quarterly, award winning, flagship publication. The website is an extension of the naturalist spirit of the magazine, and allows us to report on timely news and information to an engaged audience. We are looking for savvy writers and multimedia producers who know their way around City Hall and can also hit the trails and describe, with just enough flourish, the goings about of a clapper rail or the foliage of a manzanita plant. You’ll be part of an exciting time at Baynature.org with the online development of a Bay Area trail finder, and other changes in the Website that aim to make this the portal for Bay Area nature news. If you are a nature lover, we want to hear from you. The internship responsibilities are as follows:
- Writing and reporting original stories with the aim to produce one per week and a semester-long reporting project that could be cross promoted in the magazine. Stories may also end up in the publications of our content partners.
- Creating video and audio slideshows, depending on your interests and skill set.
- Participating in social media efforts.
Our North Berkeley office is open Monday through Friday from approximately 9:30 am – 6 pm. The intern is expected to work approximately six hours per week, including a weekly on-site editorial meeting at our office. You’ll get to do more reporting if you have reliable transportation/facility with mass transit, to reach the various parks and places we cover. After the first few weeks, telecommuting is possible for especially motivated interns.
- Strong interest in journalism, nonprofits, and the environment.
- Solid computer and internet research skills.
- Mature, self-motivated, and enterprising.
- Able to work independently.
- Commitment to exploring the natural environment.
How To Apply: Send a resume, three references, and three writing samples to: Alison Hawkes, online editor: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
One of the perks of being a small nonprofit is the quality of attention and care that we can offer our core community of donors and supporters. One of the ways that we convey this care is through hand addressed envelopes containing customized donor appeals. If you have excellent penmanship, and/or a willingness to set aside several hours over the period of a couple weeks to do routine administrative work once, twice, or three times a year, please contact email@example.com, or call (510)528-8550 x105.
Would you like to help spread the word about BAY NATURE? If so, we’d love to hear from you! We’re looking for a volunteer to talk to people about BAY NATURE at local festivals, reach out to potential magazine retailers, and keep our popular online nature events calendar up to date. If you’re interested in any or all of these activities, please contact Beth at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 510-528-8550 x107.
We are seeking a qualified Intern for a three-month period to assist with our advertising department. Bay Nature Magazine is the award-winning quarterly publication now in its fifteenth year. This is a great opportunity to get hands-on experience in print and web advertising, for a significant Bay Area nonprofit. As a volunteer, you will learn about nonprofit publishing and other nature-related organizations throughout the Bay Area. You will be acknowledged for your work on our website and in our print magazine. Duties will include but are not limited to: 1. Research advertising prospects 2. Database management 3. Research market special advertising features 4. Assist Advertising Director 5. Assist in Direct email campaign 6. Assist with advertising layout process 7. Track submissions of client CRC artwork Your skills should include proficiency in graphic design with web / internet experience. An art background is ideal, as you may have the opportunity to design and enhance client ads. Interest or knowledge of Bay Area outdoors and environmental organizations and projects is a plus. The Bay Nature office is in West Berkeley. Internship hours are flexible, but we expect a 8-10 hour/week commitment, for three months. To apply, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We are seeking someone willing to pitch in during a three-to-nine month period to do research and create materials leading up to a regional nature-oriented special event. You’ll learn about, and get hands on experience doing tasks including:
- Researching prospects for corporate and organizational sponsorships;
- Building and managing a database of prospective sponsors and inkind donors;
- Assisting with event planning and promotion process
- Designing event-related artwork
- Supporting the Development Director with a variety of tasks as they arise in the event planning process.
All for a great cause — protecting and learning about the natural world of the Bay Area!
- Three to nine month commitment.
- Strong interest in nonprofits and the environment.
- Solid computer and internet research skills.
- Proficiency in graphic design with web / internet experience. An art or graphic design background is ideal, as you may have the opportunity to design event-related materials.
- Ability to work independently.
- Commitment to the local natural environment.
Office Hours, work site: Hours are flexible, but we expect you to work 2-6 hours per week at the Bay Nature office in West Berkeley. Our office is open Monday through Friday from approximately 9:30 am – 6 pm. After the first few weeks, telecommuting is possible for especially motivated volunteers.
Rewards: You will be acknowledged for your work on our website and in our print magazine. You will gain marketable job skills — nonprofit marketing, fundraising, and event planning — with a respected organization.
Application Process: Send your resume and a note about the skills and experiences you could bring to this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.