Oysters, great whites, and fire
by Alison Hawkes on August 13, 2012
Happy Monday! Here’s your Monday Bay Nature news digest.
Don’t eat Drakes Bay oysters right now. The public health department shut down operations because three people came down with food poisoning after eating the oysters, the result of a serious bacteria, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, which occurs naturally at this time of year in coastal waters. Guess the old adage about only eating oysters in months with an “r” still holds true. [Marin Independent Journal]
Environmental groups are asking that great white sharks off the coats of California be listed as an endangered species. Researchers estimate 340 mature individuals left, and less than 100 females of breeding age. [Los Angeles Times]
The U.S. Forest Service is felling conifers in the Tahoe National Forest — some as large as 300 feet — in an effort to bring back aspen trees and restore an ecological balance that was profoundly altered when the agency began hampering fires some time ago [Sacramento Bee]
The Chevron refinery, at 110 years, may be the oldest on the West Coast. But despite last week’s Level 3 incident, it’s by far not the worst among the Bay Area’s five refineries and chemical plants. [San Jose Mercury News]
Remember that plan to make property owners responsible for state fire protection? Well, bills of up to $150 per residence have gone out to those in “state responsibility areas,” or those that lack local fire protection. [Sacramento Bee]